Visit Diocese of Scranton Website for additional information.
Diocese of Scranton Scranton, PA
- Community invited to C.Y.C. Thursday evening for #NEPAGives Rallyby Dan Gallagher on May 31, 2023 at 5:08 pm
Community invited to Catholic Youth Center Thursday evening for #NEPAGives Rally24-hour Swim Endurance Challenge to raise money for CYC Aquatics Center WILKES-BARRE – As the Wyoming Valley Catholic Youth Center celebrates 75 years of steadfast service to children and young people, the community is being invited to support its mission and innovative programming. “The Wyoming Valley … Continue reading "Community invited to C.Y.C. Thursday evening for #NEPAGives Rally"
- A church of the many: Pope addresses some synod questions, fearsby Eric Deabill on May 25, 2023 at 4:37 pm
VATICAN CITY (CNS) – While the release of the working document for the Synod of Bishops on synodality is expected sometime in early June, Pope Francis tried to respond to some of the questions and concerns about the synod process that already have been raised. Meeting at the Vatican May 25 with members of the … Continue reading "A church of the many: Pope addresses some synod questions, fears"
- Pray at Pentecost for courage to evangelize, pope saysby Eric Deabill on May 25, 2023 at 4:22 pm
VATICAN CITY (CNS) – Christians should pray on Pentecost that the Holy Spirit would give them the courage and strength to share the Gospel, Pope Francis said. “No matter how difficult the situation may be – and indeed, at times it may seem there is no room for the Gospel message – we must not … Continue reading "Pray at Pentecost for courage to evangelize, pope says"
- Bishop Bradley of Kalamazoo, Mich., retires; pope appoints Erie, Pa., vicar general as successorby Eric Deabill on May 25, 2023 at 4:19 pm
WASHINGTON (OSV News) – Pope Francis has accepted the resignation of Bishop Paul J. Bradley of Kalamazoo, Michigan, and has appointed as his successor Msgr. Edward M. Lohse, vicar general and moderator of the curia for the Diocese of Erie, Pennsylvania. Bishop Bradley, 77, has headed the Kalamazoo Diocese since 2009. Bishop-designate Lohse, 61, also … Continue reading "Bishop Bradley of Kalamazoo, Mich., retires; pope appoints Erie, Pa., vicar general as successor"
- Pope Francis adds Fatima visit to World Youth Day tripby Eric Deabill on May 25, 2023 at 4:15 pm
VATICAN CITY (CNS) – Pope Francis will visit the Shrine of Our Lady of Fátima during his trip to Portugal for World Youth Day 2023, the Vatican said. In a statement May 22, Matteo Bruni, director of the Holy See Press Office, confirmed that the pope will travel to Lisbon Aug. 2-6 and will visit … Continue reading "Pope Francis adds Fatima visit to World Youth Day trip"
- Pope asks Cardinal Zuppi to lead peace mission for Ukraineby Eric Deabill on May 25, 2023 at 4:11 pm
VATICAN CITY (CNS) – Pope Francis has asked Italian Cardinal Matteo Zuppi of Bologna to lead a mission “to help ease tensions in the conflict in Ukraine,” the Vatican press office said. The appointment of the cardinal, who is president of the Italian bishops’ conference and a longtime member of the Sant’Egidio Community, was confirmed … Continue reading "Pope asks Cardinal Zuppi to lead peace mission for Ukraine"
- Survey reveals majority of Americans ‘seldom’ or ‘never’ attend religious servicesby Eric Deabill on May 25, 2023 at 4:06 pm
(OSV News) – After traveling the United States for 10 months during 1831-32, French diplomat and political philosopher Alexis de Tocqueville declared in his classic work “Democracy in America” that “there is no country in the world where the Christian religion retains a greater influence over the souls of men than in America.” But almost … Continue reading "Survey reveals majority of Americans ‘seldom’ or ‘never’ attend religious services"