Visit Diocese of Scranton Website for additional information.
Diocese of Scranton Scranton, PA
- Pope saddened by ‘huge loss of life’ after earthquakes in Turkey and Syriaby Eric Deabill on February 6, 2023 at 7:34 pm
VATICAN CITY (CNS) – Pope Francis expressed his “spiritual closeness” and “solidarity” with those affected by a pair of powerful earthquakes that struck Turkey and Syria Feb. 6. A 7.8 magnitude earthquake as measured by the U.S. Geological Survey hit southern Turkey before dawn Feb. 6 wreaking havoc in large areas of neighboring Syria. It … Continue reading "Pope saddened by ‘huge loss of life’ after earthquakes in Turkey and Syria"
- Catholic Social Services adjusts shelter hours in response to frigid weatherby Eric Deabill on February 3, 2023 at 5:16 pm
SCRANTON (Feb. 3, 2023) – Because of the cold weather we are experiencing today (Friday) and tomorrow (Saturday), the three emergency shelters operated by Catholic Social Services will be adjusting their schedules to meet the needs of the community in the following ways: Divine Providence Shelter in Hazleton Will open at 6 p.m. Friday … Continue reading "Catholic Social Services adjusts shelter hours in response to frigid weather"
- Ladies Ancient Order of Hibernians of Lackawanna County celebrated Mass for the Feast of Saint Brigidby Dan Gallagher on February 3, 2023 at 3:52 pm
The women of the Ladies Ancient Order of Hibernians of Lackawanna County celebrated Mass on Feb. 1 at Saint Patrick Parish in West Scranton for the Feast of Saint Brigid. Father Richard E. Fox, pastor, celebrated Mass for the order, whose motto is, “Friendship, Unity and Christian Charity.” Dorothea Crowley currently serves as the … Continue reading "Ladies Ancient Order of Hibernians of Lackawanna County celebrated Mass for the Feast of Saint Brigid"
- Amid fun of Catholic Schools Week, importance of faith and religion play significant roleby Eric Deabill on February 2, 2023 at 8:40 pm
MOUNTAIN TOP – While students at Saint Jude School enjoyed motivational speakers and dress-down days as part of Catholic Schools Week 2023, they also focused on the importance of faith and religion. The entire student body of more than 250 kids gathered for a special Mass on Wednesday, Feb. 1, at neighboring Saint Jude Parish. … Continue reading "Amid fun of Catholic Schools Week, importance of faith and religion play significant role"
- Mass for Persons with Disabilities to be held Feb. 12by Eric Deabill on February 2, 2023 at 7:59 pm
SCRANTON – All people, including those with special abilities, have gifts to contribute to the life of the Church. The Diocese of Scranton embraces and welcomes the talents of all individuals in building up the Kingdom of God. The Most Reverend Joseph C. Bambera, Bishop of Scranton, will serve as principal celebrant for the Diocese … Continue reading "Mass for Persons with Disabilities to be held Feb. 12"
- JMJ Catholic Radio is on the Move!by Eric Deabill on February 2, 2023 at 7:38 pm
LAFLIN — JMJ Radio, the only Catholic radio station serving northeastern Pennsylvania and the Diocese of Scranton, has begun 2023 facing new challenges and opportunities to reach more faithful, as it moves up the FM dial from 98.9 to 104.5. The recent development coincides with JMJ’s 15th anniversary of broadcasting the “Good News,” which it … Continue reading "JMJ Catholic Radio is on the Move!"
- After Biden comments, U.S. bishops say they have ‘united position’ on abortionby Eric Deabill on February 2, 2023 at 11:04 am
WASHINGTON (OSV News) – The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops affirmed its “united position” in opposition to taxpayer funding for abortion procedures, invoking the teaching of Pope Francis, following recent remarks by President Joe Biden. During a Jan. 30 gaggle with reporters on the South Lawn of the White House, a reporter said to Biden, … Continue reading "After Biden comments, U.S. bishops say they have ‘united position’ on abortion"